George SPENCE

George SPENCE

Male Abt 1842 -

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All

  • Name George SPENCE 
    Born Abt 1842  Barony, Glasgow, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Person ID I10181  Silk Weavers and Stay Makers
    Last Modified 19 Jun 2016 

    Father Andrew SPENCE,   b. Abt 1803, Avondale, Lanarkshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 04 Jan 1860, Barrowmans Land, Edinburgh and Glasgow Road, Old Monkland, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 57 years) 
    Relationship Natural 
    Mother Helen BROWNE,   b. UNKNOWN,   d. Between 1846 and 1851 
    Relationship Natural 
    Married 16 Jun 1827  Avondale, Lanarkshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Family ID F211  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos
    17 June 1827 Andrew Spence  Helen Browne Parish M.jpg
    17 June 1827 Andrew Spence Helen Browne Parish M.jpg
    16 June 1827 Andrew Spence  Helen Browne Parish M.jpg
    16 June 1827 Andrew Spence Helen Browne Parish M.jpg

  • Notes 
    • From Wikipedia:- Hew Hill, the Laird, or Lord, of Gairbraid, had no male heir and so he left his estate to his daughter, Mary. She married Robert Graham of Dawsholm in 1763, but they had no income from trade or commerce and had to make what they could from the estate. They founded coalmines on the estate but they proved to be wet and unprofitable, and their property ventures are best known for an acre of ground they did not sell. It is still known as Acre today. No doubt they would have continued with the struggle, but on the 8 March 1768 Parliament approved the cutting of the Forth and Clyde Canal through their estate, which provided some much-needed money. The canal reached the estate in 1775, but the canal company had run out of money and work stopped for eight years. The Government granted funds from forfeited Jacobite estates to start it again and the crossing of the River Kelvin became the focus for massive construction activity. Five locks, the great Kelvin Aqueduct and, between two of the locks, a dry dock boatyard were built. A village too began to grow up and the Grahams fed more land for its development; Robert Graham attached one condition that was to immortalise the heiress of Gairbraid, his beloved wife and the last in line of centuries of Hills of Gairbraid after the death of her father Hew Hill. The then village was to be "in all times called the town of MaryHill". The new canal waterway attracted industries including; boat-building, saw-milling and ironfounding to its banks within Mary's estate. By 1830 the scattered houses had grown to form a large village with a population of 3000 people. The building of the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway passing through Maryhill in the 1850s, and the proximity of the Loch Katrine pipeline, led to further growth and in 1856 Maryhill became a burgh in its own right ('burgh' is an old word for town in Scotland). It was later absorbed into the city of Glasgow's boundaries in 1891. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- From Maryhill Burgh Halls Trust (Walking Trails) It was the coming of the canal in 1790 which led to the foundation of Maryhill as a township in its own right. When the owners of the Gairbraid estate, Mary Hill and her husband Robert Graham, sold the first land in January 1791, they stated that ?the feuer is required to make the road or street through the town of Mary?s Hill from the toll road towards the Water of Kelvin?. The family gravestone featuring Mary Hill?s name can still be seen today in the churchyard at Glasgow Cathedral. Maryhill, known earlier by the name Kelvindock or Drydock became an independent police burgh in 1856.

  • Sources 
    1. [S240] LDS Parish Marriages Index.